| The Void
|Riverville, Yero's House, Yero's Cellar, Penny Road, Ark
|A New Beginning
|The First Steps
- Talk with Jespar
- Loot Yero's Strongbox
- Talk with Alfrid about Yero
- Investigate Yero's house
- Travel to Ark with Jespar
This quest will begin automatically as the player wakes up from the attack in A New Beginning.
You'll wake up be greeted by a man who introduces himself as Jespar, and informs you that Finn and Carbos' camp was attacked, and you were the only survivor. He then goes on to explain that he works for The Holy Order, and that his employer can help treat your Enderal:Arcane Fever. However, Jespar wants you to help him first before bringing you to his employer.
He will tell you about Yero, a magister for The Order that was infected with the Red Madness and commited magical suicide, taking many students with him. To investigate the reasons behind this mysterious death, Jespar wants you to find Yero's lost strongbox and talk to Alfrid, one of his childhood friends.
After giving you your tasks, Jespar will head to Yero's House, where he will wait for you.
You'll find Yero's Strongbox underwater near the shore, unlocked. The strongbox contains three letters forming Yero's Diary, and a mysterious key. When you pick up the key, the Secrets quest will begin.
- Note: It is possible to complete this quest without taking the key from the strongbox. However, in this case, Secrets will not begin, several important things will not happen, and at least one quest will become uncompletable. Although it is possible to return later for the key, without the marker from this quest, the strongbox is extremely difficult to find.
Alfrid can be found in Riverville, usually sweeping the front of his house. He asks you to sit down in a nearby bench, and then tells you his version of Yero's story, recalling how they were childhood friends, and how he was first recruited into The Order.
Reporting back to Jespar
Once that is done, follow the quest marker towards Yero's House, then enter Yero's Cellar. Be careful when walking about this area, as there are many traps scattered around. You'll find Jespar sitting on a table near a cave entrance. You might want to take the Memory Book laying on top of the table before talking to him.
After telling Jespar about your findings, he will tell you that he made a discovery of his own, and that you should follow him. You'll arrive in a relatively large room and Jespar will tell you that he needs your help to break into the Star People's lock in there.
All you have to do here is interact with all five Starling Locks before time runs out, and the door will open. When dealing with locks, it is advisable to do the following:
- Be sure that you are in running mode
- Take off your weapon and armor
- Check your Games Settings: Vibrations: off, Mouse Sensitivity decreased (Easier to aim at the locks).
You may want to start with the upper locks (the one situated farthest between two walls), then those two upper and by walking backwards you will be faced with the last two (those side by side on the lowers level).
Be prepared, because you'll have to face a Fire Elemental. After defeating the elemental, pick up Yero's Memorial Book from the ground near the steps, and Jespar will tell you all work is done, and you should meet back in Riverville for his part of the agreement.
Journey to Ark
You can either walk back or use the teleport scroll Jespar gave you, he will be waiting for you at The Drunken Bee. He will ask you what is your preferred combat style, which changes the books that will be given to you. After that, your journey to Ark begins.
Jespar will start following you, and the time will automatically be set to nightfall. Leave Riverville and follow the Penny Road to the East. If you stray too far from the road Jespar will stop following you until you return near his position, which can be found by a quest marker. When you pass through Scout Tower, right after the Tavern at the Penny Road, Jespar will stop, and a new objective, Talk to Jespar at the Viewpoint will appear. Be sure to get the Knowledge point from this dialogue.
Continue forward through the Miner's Cabin and you'll find Bunvar, whom you can talk with to initiate the Feud Between Brothers quest. Keep following the road and you should quickly reach Ark. If you ever get lost, look for the nearest signpost and follow the direction pointing towards Ark.
- Jespar Dal'Varek is one of the player's followers who can be romanced. The other romancable option is Calia Sakaresh.
- If experimental multi-threading is enabled, sitting at the bench may fail, resulting in the game stuck with your character standing in front of the bench indefinitely.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 37, 55, 65, 137